We are delighted to announce that Barbara Strobel and I will be leading a mission team to Nepal from October 27- November 6, 2023, to work with our mission partners Crossway Church, Abba House (children's home), Stepping Stone (transition home), and Higher Ground (micro-enterprises). Late October is a wonderful time to visit Nepal. It is harvest season - not too hot, nor too cold – and the skies are usually clear so you can see the beautiful mountains.
Here is a brief description of our mission partners and what they do:
- Crossway Church — Nepal was historically a Hindu nation. Today less than 10% of Nepalis are Christian and many know nothing about Christianity. Crossway Church is a growing active congregation focused on planting churches in unreached areas all over Nepal. They currently have over 30 church plants! You may have met Pastor Arbin Pokharel or heard him preach when he and his wife Bimala were visiting SJD several years ago.
- Abba House is a children's Home (orphanage) with kids from ages 5-18. The kids know us and are excited about our upcoming visit. They speak English so don't worry about communicating with them. Be careful or they will steal your heart! The children are usually off of school in late October as it's festival time in Nepal, so we will be able to spend a lot of time with them.
- Stepping Stone Transition Home is a ministry for young men who are finishing school and "graduating" from orphanages. They need to learn life skills so that they can live on their own and the transition home affords that opportunity. They too know us and are excited that we are coming.
- Higher Ground micro-enterprises helps impoverished women and men, and women rescued from the sex trade, by providing jobs for them (bakery and jewelry making). A nice side benefit is the delicious baked goods! You may have bought some of their jewelry or met the founder Bimala Pokharel when she was here several years ago.
Our primary purpose will be to minister to our partners through the gift of our presence. But there is always work to do, and these are the types of things we'll do:
- Lead a women's and/or men's meeting/retreat with a short teaching followed by fellowship. We will focus on lifting the spirits of the ladies and gentlemen, many of whom have forgotten how to relax and play.
- Lead nightly devotions at Abba House
- Hold a game day for the Abba House kids
- Mentor the young men living in the transition home
- Visit a church mission plant in the beautiful area of Lamjung, Nepal
- Whatever you are gifted at doing and willing to share!
At the end of the trip, you will have the option to either go on a short 2-3 day trek in the Annapurna mountains or relax in Pokhara at the base of the mountain range.
The cost will be around $3,000. Scholarships are available. If you are interested in hearing more, please contact Barbara Strobel at email@example.com.